As we get closer to the end of the year, we’ve decided to base this blog on some of the many Voices of Birralee highlights for 2017. We’ve gone into detail on a few below, but you can check out the full list here.
Here we go:
- Birralee started back for 2017, with BBV uniting for its focus camp at Twin Waters.
- The first instalment of the Voices from the Trenches Choral Festival was held at St Lawrence’s College, involving the Birralee Singers, Birralee Blokes and 2017 Anzac Day Commemoration Choir, along with various school choirs. The entire three-part project was proudly supported by the Queensland Government.
- We farewelled our 2017 Anzac Day Commemoration Choir – our youngest group to perform in our Western Front Centenary Choir Touring Project as part of our commitment to the DVA. Their massive tour culminated in performing at Anzac Day services at the Australian National Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux and at the Digger Memorial, Bullecourt, France. Catch up on their tour via their blogging series here.
- Our Birralee Piccolos, Kids and BBV delighted many at our annual Cupcake & Cushion Concert at The Old Museum. This year’s concert was held as a special Mother’s Day treat.
- Resonance of Birralee took part in the Queensland Pops Orchestra’s Celtic Spectacular at QPAC and Toowoomba’s Empire Theatre.
- Birralee was back at the Empire Theatre a week after Celtic Spectacular with the second concert of the Voices from the Trenches Choral Festival which united Birralee and Toowoomba school and community choirs to honour our Anzacs.
- Resonance of Birralee, BBV and the Birralee Blokes performed a mid-year concert, A World Full of Music at the Gehrmann Theatre, Brisbane Girls’ Grammar School.
- From 29 June – 1 July a highly successful Pemulwuy! National Male Voice Festival was held, involving around 400 male singers from across the country, with some from Japan. The finale of Pemulwuy took on the Voices from the Trenches theme and was held at QPAC’s Concert Hall.
- Our Resonance of Birralee choir, with select BBV members performed in the Queensland Music Festival’s You’re the Voice event, raising awareness of domestic violence. A surprise guest performer was The Voice himself, John Farnham.
- Our Birralee Recycled ‘give it a go community choir’ project proved strong in its second year as Peter Ingram and Brendan Murtagh led around 60 choristers in their debut concert at the Young & the Recycled, which also involved the Birralee Singers and September’s Western Front Centenary Choir.
- The annual Young Voices Festival involved the Birralee Kids with fellow school choirs.
- Birralee Piccolos’ conductor Katherine Ruhle initiated the ensemble’s first Teddy Bears’ Picnic which was an afternoon of fun singing and teddy bear dancing.
- The Postcards Trivia Night was held, co-hosted by the Ashgrove – the Gap Lions Club to raise funds for our touring projects.
- Our Western Front Centenary Choir, made up of 16 choristers set off on a tour to perform at the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Polygon Wood, Belgium. Catch up on the blogging tour here.
- Around 60 Birralee Singers were also on tour in September, singing across Tasmania. Catch up on their tour blogging series here.
- Led by Paul Holley OAM, Resonance of Birralee performed an emotive Annelies, a full choral work based on the diary of Anne Frank, by James Whitbourn. Resonance were joined by soloist Cara Fox and a chamber ensemble comprising Julie Elvery, Josie Pollicina, Gwyn Roberts and Brendan Murtagh.
And still to come…
- Our Birralee Singers, with some BBV members performed as the children’s chorus in the Queensland Symphony Orchestra’s Carmen In-Concert on 25 November.
DECEMBER: Choristers across our organisation were involved in a swag of concerts over the festive season, including:
- Resonance of Birralee, Sing Noel, St John’s Cathedral
- BBV and Resonance performed in Queensland Ballet’s The Nutcracker (QPAC).
- BBV with Birralee Singers performed in Brisbane Lord Mayor’s Christmas Carols
- The Birralee Singers performed at South Bank’s Christmas Village
- Birralee Singers, BBV, Resonance of Birralee, Birralee Recycled and alumni performed at Spirit of Christmas (QPAC)
What was your 2017 highlight? Send firstname.lastname@example.org any comments or photos, to be included in the blog! Or comment below!